Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Thanksgiving feel

Luke throws his broccoli at James,
 hitting him in the face, causing James to fall out of his chair laughing.
Sniped!
The aroma of pies baking in the oven
The long wooden table holds all the wonderful food.
The turkey is not dry this year; it’s finally cooked just right!
The marvelous cranberry sauce, handmade by Grandma Kathy looks like red applesauce.
Saying grace before eating, is something we do every time we eat.
After eating,
“I feel like the turkey, all stuffed up and stuff”
my cousin Brandon exclaims,
puffing his stomach out as if he’s pregnant.
As we are waiting for the pie,
My little cousin Teagan is more excited than anyone to see snow falling
“I’m a snow angel, falling from the sky.”
The blueberry pie is succulent with the juices exploding in your mouth.
A kooky family member who has had a bit too much to drink,
hollers “I’m flying like the turkey before he was shot”
Flapping his “wings” until he drops on the couch and passes out.
This was the first thanksgiving for newly born baby Kylie.
This year we propose a toast to the well being of everyone present.

1 comment:

  1. Dean- This poem moves away from internal monologue toward reporting, and it uses humor well, too. I'm imagining the last lines a bit differently, perhaps w/ Kylie AS a form of toast/blessing for everyone present. The sincerity works beautifully here. On another note- I don't see any poetry reading/lit journal blog post? Let me know if I've missed it.

    ReplyDelete