Sunday, December 8, 2013

"Shadow" poem but not really

Watching from the outside looking in
Stepping out of the black 2004 Ford Explorer
I walk closely behind what seems like an under privileged person as we enter Target.
I can’t help but notice that he isn’t dressed for the chilly weather.
I take notice that they are shivering, and shaking.
As I enter the store, we head our separate ways.
But as I near register number twelve, we seem to have met again.
He is still shivering, as he is buying some toys, he explains to the cashier that these are his Christmas gifts for his 3 beautiful children.
But as soon as the cashier says how much the toys are, his eyes grow wide in astonishment.
He realizes that he doesn’t have enough money to buy a toy of some sort for each child.
But before he grabs all of the items to put them back,
 I reach over and hand him one hundred and fifteen dollars and eighty four cents.
This amount of money covers all of his children’s Christmas presents without him having to pay a dime.
As this event is happening, I can’t imagine what it would be like to have no presents on Christmas.
Or not being able to see his children smile with the gifts that their daddy got them this year.
The man is more than thankful for my good deed, he thanks me numerous times.
And all I can say is: This will put a smile on your kid’s faces, Merry Christmas.
This brings me nothing but joy, happiness, and the gift of giving.
 I can’t think of anything better I could have spent $115.84 on than putting a
great, big smile on three kid’s faces on Christmas day.
Nothing better than a Christmas miracle



1 comment:

  1. Really? Is this true? If so I'm amazed at the generosity and feel like this needs to go further, to show how you do such a thing. Some of the details work, but other places need a few more or need to change some that feel cliched. A great start to a strong story- particularly for this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete