Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Prose and Poetry from The Poet’s Companion
Summer Project
Bedroom
As you enter my room you will notice it is painted white all around
A poster covers the majority of a wall, on it is  a metal fence, a basketball hoop,
a partly cloudy sky with the sun peaking out in the middle of the photo,
a basketball player with high tops  dunking with his left hand outstretched in
 the Michael Jordan pose.
Beneath the poster is a wooden desk made from an ash tree that my great grandfather gave me before he passed away
On the wooden desk are mementos from my 2005 youth baseball championship trophy. Lying in front of the trophy are pictures of my mom and I
On the pictures,  my mom and I  are blowing out  the candles on my Thomas the tank engine cake, on my 2nd birthday at Minnehaha falls park, and we’re sticking our tongues out at each other on the Hawaiian floral printed futon we used to have.
A simple lamp shade colored a burnt orange color sits on the edge of the desk
To the right of my desk against the wall I have a two door closet with white paint and two metal handles, which is where my multiple jerseys and nice clothes are hanging.
If you make a 90 degree turn from the closet a twin bed with orange sheets and pillow cases is sitting against the wall next to the nightstand
On the nightstand are autographs from various athletes that I’ve received over the years,
A Justin Morneau autographed picture of him finishing his homerun,
 And Joe Mauer telling me to never give up on my dreams
 To tell time, there rests a Mickey Mouse clock undisturbed,  that I received as a birthday present when I was 7.
At the foot of my bed is my dirty clothes hamper with nothing in it at the moment.
Then to the right of the hamper is my dresser which has two wide drawers on the bottom,
 two small but deep drawers,
and two small but wide drawers in-between the two small drawers.
And that is how I perceive my room.

Calm
My little brother has had this blanket since he was born,
And from it he has never been torn,
It calms him down,
It turns his frown upside down.
Gripping it tight,
It never leaves his sight.
Without blankie,
Owen would be cranky.
And that quite frankly,

Would make me unhappy.

1 comment:

  1. I once read in a book that you can learn the most about someone by looking at their bedroom. In the case of your room, it really has a lot of history to it (maybe not like dinosaur-age history, but Dean Isaacson-age history).

    ReplyDelete